If you want to stir up some controversy, start a discussion about schools; if you really want to get people excited, start a discussion on school district boundaries. Academy School District D20 is proposing some boundary changes for the upcoming school years. One of the first things people ask is about changes to external boundaries (those bordering other districts). The answer is NO, those will not change. It would take an act of Congress or God to change those. 😉 I met with a parent volunteer on the Boundary Committee this week to try and understand details (since I couldn’t make the open house discussion nights).
Changes to District 20 Boundaries
When the bond issue passed in 2016, Academy School district 20 began contemplating new schools, and with that comes a lot of tough decisions. We all see the growth around the district! The team that worked long hours to adjust and add school boundaries is made up of board school district board members and about 25 parents who volunteer to help “redistribute” thousands to students. I can’t imagine the difficult task of understanding the growth, school-age students per household, etc.
The PROPOSED plan is spread out over the next 5 years, and I will try to lay out the details to include map links. (below). There will be a Board vote going forward in October.
D20 School District 2018-2019 school year
1) Elementary #20 (yes, they will be renamed) – SEE MAP 1 – new school in the Southeast portion of Wolf Ranch development. Research Blvd Is in the process of being extended east to Black Forest Rd to allow for access. This connection will not be open until right when school begins for the ’18-’19 school year, as they don’t want people speeding through that zone and re-adjusting to school speed limits.
Details: This will be the neighborhood elementary for the following:
* the eastern “half” of Wolf Ranch, primarily from Wolf Lake Dr (portions go as far west as Valemount or Wolf Center) to the east to the eastern district boundary, north to Old Ranch or Wildflower Rd (again, please see maps)
* southern filings of Wolf Ranch from Research south through Cumbre Vista to Woodmen Rd
* Forestgate, Silver Ponds, eagle Wing Estates communities
* Innovation Learning Center will eventually be at this site as well.
2) Redistribution at northern part of ASD20 (Discovery Canyon Campus, Antelope Trails, Da Vinci Elementary Schools) – (MAP 3) goal is to increase population at Antelope Trails Elementary and take population load off Da Vinci and Discovery Canyon Elementary Schools
* Northgate Estates and small surrounding area (just north of Northgate Rd & Voyager) – neighborhood elementary will be changed from Da Vinci Academy to Antelope Trails
2019-2020 school year – (MAP 4)
1) Middle school #8, location northern portion of Cordera. Distribution details (yes, confusing, consult maps and the district)
* take the population pressure off Challenger and Timberview Middle Schools
* neighborhood middle school for all of Cordera
* neighborhood middle school for Wolf Ranch, Cumbre Vista, Forest Gate, Eagle Wing Estates, Silver Ponds
* east, northeast of Powers, south of Old Ranch Rd
2020-2021 school year – High School Realignment Scenario C – 1 year after opening of middle school #8 (MAP 5)
* Cordera and western Wolf Ranch to Pine Creek High School * this is a change
* Eastern Wolf Ranch, Cumbre Vista to Liberty High School 8 * this does not change neighborhood school boundary
* Rampart boundaries unchanged
2021-2022 OR 2022-2023 school year (TBD) – Elementary School #21 (MAP 6)
* location in North Creek near Pine Creek High School
* move western portion of Cordera to new elementary
* move students from south of Shoup, east of Hwy 83 to new elementary
* move students from west of Milam, west of Howells (from Edith Wolford Elementary) to new elementary
I would love to hep you understand these boundaries and changes, as it relates to selling or purchasing a home in the Academy School District 20. This is historically a strong district with high test scores and personally, expect nothing less as it continues to grow!
* Students transitioning within same school level will be polled and most likely be allowed to stay to keep original neighborhood school where maps otherwise indicate a change would be required. Please consult district for details.
* Opinion – I am personally excited about the growth and forethought the district has to plan for the population growth.
* This is not a final and conclusive decision, please reference the district website or call them.